The Blogsicle

Sunday, November 06, 2005

A rant against Sony BMG

Hello Sony Music and Sony BMG,

I would like to personally thank you for helping to change my entertainment purchasing habits. After reading a discussion of your secretive inclusion of DRM (please see Mark Russinovich's blog), I consider my privacy violated and my trust in your company broken. While I fully support copyright protection, I also believe in full disclosure of one's methods of doing so. As a result I will cease buying Sony CDs immediately.

From now on I plan to buy all my music through Apple's iTunes store and play this on my newly-purchased iPod using Apple's FairPlay DRM.

Thank you again,

-- <me>
Good grief, what has this world come to? I didn't want to necessarily use this blog for ranting, but this one just chaps my hide. If you haven't heard about the whole Sony BMG rootkit scandal going on right now, you ought to go and read about it. Don't worry, I'll wait...

*Jeopardy music plays*

OK, done?

So, I'm enraged. This is misleading and an obvious compromise to computer security in general. How did Sony BMG believe they were going to get away with something like this? Anyways, as a thank-you to Sony for doing this I'm halting my purchase of their CD products as of now. I will be using iTunes whenever possible.

And now back to your regularly-scheduled happier-mood programming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home