The Blogsicle

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hey!!! :)

Guess what?!

Hey!


Wow!


Look closer!

Yay! I have my Halloween makeup! ... j/k.

OK, so I caved. I have one of those newfangled iPods with video capability. I have to say, it's vewwwy nice. :) 60 GB to store just about anything and the integration with the iTunes suite. Videos look really crisp, audio is clean without much noise.

The bigger question is, why did I go with an iPod? Didn't I just get a Windows PDA that was supposed to be a music player too? Well...

A while ago when I was looking into PDAs and MP3 players I heard that there was this Windows PlaysForSure thing that was coming, a competing service to iTunes' FairPlay. I thought, "cool!", because most of the pricing I saw was reasonable and subscription services were relatively inexpensive. So I went ahead with the PDA (which is very nice too) and bought an SD card to store all the music on it. Everything was all ready until I checked with a friend about the DRM (Digital Rights Management) and he noted that the drawback to subscription services is that all licenses expire monthly.

WTF?

No, really, they do. So, if you don't connect back to the Internet and have a valid subscription account then you effectively lose access to your music. Therefore, you are technically renting music, not owning it. That's total bogus crap! I can forsee myself going a month or more inbetween syncs or maybe I'll cancel my subscription service some day. I don't want my media to suddenly expire! The nice thing about the Apple DRM is your licenses never expire once you've acquired them.

Now, services like Yahoo Music Unlimited do allow you to buy burnable downloads (which thusly don't have license expiration), but the cost is $0.99, which is the same as iTunes. And, personally, I like iTunes' integration between their store, their iTunes app, and the iPod a lot better. Plus, it's really easy to one-hand the iPod to select music while driving---it is virtually impossible to navigate my PDA on the road. So, my opinion was finally swayed and now I have an iPod.

The bigger question is why did I feel I wanted to get an iPod anyways? Well, I recently went to Tower Records and dropped some $90 on CDs. And I do this often. I didn't start buying CDs until more recently and I have hundreds now. And I don't always like all the songs. So, I figured the iPod/iTunes is actually the more economical way to go and I should break even in a year or so. The only advantages CDs have, IMO, are the cool liner notes and the raw CD quality---Apple's AAC codec is good, but not "all that". Still, I think the quality is generally acceptable and the price is right.

Bottom line: watching Pixar's "For The Birds" looks great. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home